Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Chuseok

So Monday evening my wife's two aunts/uncles/cousins came over and we all had a huge feast together for chuseok (picture 1).

After dinner, both cousins, aunts, and one uncle took us out to karaoke (picture 2). It was a lot of fun! We had our own little room and sang for almost two hours. My voice was definitely giving out by the end. At first I was pretty timid and sang some easy songs that I know really well. But all of those songs were pretty old and her relatives didn't know them. Kind of like how I enjoyed but didn't really know any of the Korean songs that they were singing. I also noticed that the more you got into the song, dancing, etc, the better it was received. So I had to go for it, and requested Psy's Gangnam Style. I kind of knew some of the words, and definitely the chorus, but not most of the verses. Fortunately her cousin helped me out by singing the verses, so I could just dance and sing the choruses. Definitely over the top on my part, but I think it was fun for everyone.

After that, they sang some Korean songs that I knew so I could enjoy them as well and occasionally join in. Both of her cousins are really good singers (of course, one is a professional musician and the other a professional singer) and I was surprised that they knew and could sing almost every Korean song I knew.

Yesterday (Tuesday) we went to a nearby restaurant for more jjajangmyun (noodles with black bean sauce, picture 3 & 4) for lunch with one aunt/uncle/cousin who had stayed over at her grandparents' for the night.

After that her great aunt/uncle and their kids and grandkids came over. After visiting and chatting with everyone for a while we went to a nearby restaurant and had samgyupsal (pork belly) and duck stew alongside a huge number of side dishes and some beer and soju (pictures 5 & 6). What I thought was really cool was that since her grandparents don't have a car and her great uncle's car was full, her grandparents called the restaurant and they drove over in a minivan to pick us up and bring us to the restaurant. I guess that's a good service to offer if you want large groups of people to come to your restaurant.

Once everything quieted down for the night my wife and I took a nice relaxing walk around the small community where her grandparents live and stopped at a nearby mart (convenience/grocery store). I'm really enjoying drinking all the flavored milk and had to restock a bit. Picture 7 shows melon, banana, and coffee flavored milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment