Saturday, May 21, 2011

Packing

We leave in a few hours, so I thought I'd post up a list of things that I'm packing (probably not complete, but you can get the idea).  I'm using a lot of dry-fit type clothing as it is very light, dries fast, and can easily be washed in the sink (which I plan to do so that I don't need to bring a ton of clothes).  There's also laundry near the hostel.  I am bringing 2 pairs of khaki pants and 2 long sleeve button down shirts because the culture is very conservative in parts of Jerusalem and long sleeves are necessary for some of the temples out of respect.  If it weren't for that, I think my packing list would be even smaller.


This picture shows pretty much everything I'm packing, including the clothes that I'm wearing.  A partial list:
- hat
- 3 dry fit short sleeve shirts
- 1 dry fit long sleeve shirt
- 2 button down long sleeve lightweight shirts
- 1 swimsuit
- 1 pair flip flops
- 1 short sleeve polo shirt
- 4 pairs dry fit boxers
- 4 pairs dry fit socks
- my main backpack (a 46 liter one from Osprey)
- my day pack (a camelbak type of pack with water pouch)
- toiletries

Also, not shown: a travel guide to Israel, small electronics, Bible, and some maps that we filled out and highlighted as part of homework assignments.

Some notes:
- rolling is the preferred method for packing - keeps the wrinkles out better than folding - try it sometime!
- fortunately all of my small electronics can take 220V for charging, so I just need a converter an adapter
- I'm excited to use skype on my ipod touch - free calling with wifi! - feel free to skype me while I'm there!
- I'm hoping to buy some nice sandals when I'm there, so I'm only taking my walking shoes plus the flip flops

edit: adapter, not converter; and added some things

3 comments: